Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all. We had a most wonderful mother's day yesterday. We spent Saturday evening with Ron and Steph so that we could be with mom and dad on Sunday. The plans were that I would stay with mom while dad went to morning meeting, and then the rest of my family and some of Ron's would come up later to visit. When I arrived in the morning, mom was up and perky. After dad got ready for meeting, she was then ready to retire for the morning. (This is better, since I can not help her up.) After she headed for her morning nap, dad headed to meeting. Mom and I had a very QUIET morning. We both took a nap, hers was just a little longer than mine. I kept very quiet so that she would sleep soundly. When dad got home, we started to make some noise in preparing lunch. Dad had planned a lunch based on past experiences. (We soon found out that today was not like the "other" days. Today may have been that "turn the corner" day.) First, I asked if I could make cole slaw. Dad told me that mom did not like "mixtures" anymore. So I made cole slaw for dad and I but instead of mayo dressing, I used italian dressing. Next, dad had only three ears of corn, so I said I would not need my ear of corn. Again, Dad said that Mom would never eat two ears of corn, so there would be one for each of us. And we had chicken. As we started to eat lunch, mom dug right into her ear of corn. Soon her response was "Boy, Dick this corn is really good!!!" Dad and I had also dug into our chicken and corn. When she was finished with her chicken and corn, she asked if there was anymore corn. Boy, did we feel bad. But mom was fine with that, she just went onto the cole slaw. She started with a small bowl. Yum that was good as well. She kept eating and asking for more. I went back to the kitchen two times to make more cole slaw, which each time she polished up. With our bellies full, we retired to the chair and waited for the company. Soon, Mark and our three children, and Ron and three of his kids came bouncing in the door. (Alexis and Steph spent the day together. Alexis was sick. ) With all of the commotion, mom did really well. The kids were on their best behavior, and they had brought Masseys' ice cream. We soon scooped into the ice cream, which mom eat a healthy portion of that as well. And YES!!!! IT IS THAT GOOD!!!! After a bowl FULL of chocolate ice cream, mom retired for a afternoon nap. To keep the house quiet, we headed out to the rope swing with all 6 children.Mom enjoyed the quiet house, and we enjoyed trying out our old rope swing.




This is Uncle Ron helping Matt, Lilianna and Robert on the swing. Mark is at the other end, making sure they do not fall off, and tumble down the hill. They had a ton of fun.







Soon it was about time for mom to get up, and we all went back inside. When mom awoke, there were some cards from some of us. In the past, mom has not been able to read her cards. She sometimes will listen to us read them to her, and other times, she puts them aside to be read later. This time, as dad sat down to read the cards with mom, he kindly asked, "Sally, would you like me to read the cards to you?" Her quick response and dad's face in the next picture tells the rest of the story. Her response "NO, I can read the cards myself!!!" Dad's face really tells the story!!! AND she did..... she read all of her cards, and thoroughly enjoyed each one. Along with mom being awake more each day, she is also still her spunky self. We have been getting a charge out of her cute and quick witted comments, but we are really realizing that she is still the same Sally we all love!!! Mom really had a wonderful day. She enjoyed seeing the children, being part of conversation with us adults, and she especially enjoyed eating!!!!!

To all of you, we hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. We had one to write in the books!!!



Happy Mother's Day!!! Mom was beautiful then, and she is still beautiful!!! We were not able to capture great smiles, she saves them for us!!!


















2 comments:

Dick said...

I just took the time to read this again, and it caused me to smile all over again. Actually, to have that look of disbelief that you see on my face in the picture.. Sunday did mark a day of new beginnings, with Sally improving throughout the week.. We soon may see more of those smiles on her face.. Thanks for a great Mother's Day...

Unknown said...

Suzie, I am so glad to hear of your Mom's progress. What a wonderful Mother's Day gift for everyone in your family. It is so heart warming to read your notes. I cannot agree more that your Mom is a beautiful lady inside and out. It is wonderful to know she is delivering those wonderful smiles and keeping us on our toes with her quick wit. Our thoughts have been with every one of you as you have continued your journey. Sending our love and hugs to everyone! Take care! Kathryn, Pete, Alex, & Luke McGough